volunteer

Thursday, October 7, 2010

New Rotation...New Exposures

I loved my volunteering assigment this week! After a meeting with our coordinator, Vy and I toured the Dental clinic facilities. After a while, Vy went on to filing paperwork and I was more than happy to survey the kids that were in the clinic. San Jose also does survey work for other companies, in this case, there was a children's book that is in a testing state. The book was bilingual, so I read it in both English and Spanish. There was not a lot of kids though, but the few that I was able to see had very strong opinions. The older kids (6-8 years old) did like the story of Toñito and his dream of becoming a professional soccer player. Toddlers on the other hand, hatted it because it was boring and "there was not space for coloring" according to these little critics. The kids that were around 4-5 years old, had a mild opinion of the book. They like it but they were not thrilled about the dense narrative. It is impressive how a one year old can give you a blunt clear opinion. Too bad that the ability of being very sincere  gets blurry as we grow older. I loved working with the kids, they were very attentive and excited. It make me realize that those little people have a mind and opinion of their own!!! The last thing I did this week on my volunteering was proofreading several  brochures in Spanish that the clinic is planning to release to its patients in the next month. Well, I cannot wait to see what I will be doing on my next rotation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment