volunteer

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

First Day of Volunteer Work!

My first day of volunteer work was not what I was expecting. Well I got lost again!! I'm just starting to realize that my husband was right! I'm definitively horrible with directions! Thankfully I got out of the house 30 minutes earlier so I had that wiggle room. When I got to the clinic, there were lots of patients already! It was not even 8 a.m. The director located me into the eye clinic. The first hour and a half was very slow. I was suppossed to serve as a translator but they were not needing my services. During that time I read all the spanish panflets they had available. To my horror, the grammar and sentence structures were just wrong. I corrected ALL those panflets because I could not believe that whoever translated the information did a good job. I also noticed that most of the patients that had an appointment in the eye clinic were women. Also, the nurses were really nice to show me the triage process. I realized that ALL of the patients in the two hours I spent there on my first day suffered from diabetes. One of the volunteer doctors told me that most of the patients' underlying problems are due to diabetes. The patients either do not take their medication on a regular basis or they just do not get any treatment and underestimate the potentially dangerous consequences of diabetes. I learn so many new things today, even if it was a bit slow. I found myself very curious about the dynamic on San Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment