volunteer

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Updates

Well I'm so happy!!! Last week I kept in continuos contact with the director of volunteer affairs at San Jose clinic. I was getting a little worried that I was not going to be able to start volunteering this week. Thankfully, this past week I finalized and was accepted at San Jose. Another Cell bio student is there with me so it is a good thing! This past Saturday I went for an orientation. I was really amazed to see the facilities in which the clinic operates. It is a brand new building really pretty and chic. This past saturday was filled with patients since UT dental students were there volunteering. I was so happy to see that UT dental volunteers at San Jose on a regular basis at least once a month. I was so nervous about what to do there, and I honestly was not quite sure of how to approach the director. Well, she was so much nicer than what I expected, so she took the time to show us how the clinic functions, the many facilities and doctors that volunteer there and also she shows us the safety measurenments in which the clinic works. I got an excellent impression of the staff that works there and I saw that there were mostly hispanic patients so in a way, I can help the doctors that do not speak spanish with translation and things like that. After the tour, we were able to sit down and talk with the coordinator as to our assignments and our time in San Jose. I decided on volunteer every friday for two hours. I would have loved to be around the dental clinic but sadly, it is too hectic. However, I was promised to shadow a dentist some time around the end of this semester which is really thoughtfful. I really appreciate the attention and caring the staff showed us this past saturday. Also, since we need to do a poster at the end of this semester about a popular disease in our clinic, the coordinator was more than happy to give us some ideas. She is looking for something like a brochure for kids for the dental clinic. We could teach them good oral habits and so on. I am very excited to work with San Jose. Finally, just today I got an e-mail from the Development coordinator at El Centro de Corazón and they offered me some volunteer oportunities there shadowing one of their dentist. I am so excited about that too!!!! I guess that good things do come for those who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment